d2w® - Biodegradable plastic technology
d2w® technology turns ordinary plastic at the end of its useful life, in the presence of oxygen, into a material with a different molecular structure. At the end of the process, it is no longer a plastic, and has changed into a material which is biodegradable (by bacteria and fungi) in the open environment. In the same way as nature's wastes and much, much faster than ordinary plastic.
Stages of oxo-biodegration with d2w® technology:
- d2w® masterbatch is added at the manufacturing stage.
- Film containing d2w® is extruded and then converted into bags or packaging (or other single use products)
- The product behaves like conventional plastic during its intended service life.
- After its service life, the bag or packaging may end up in the open environment.
- The d2w® then takes effect and the product begins to degrade (in the presence of oxygen).
- The product will degrade and biodegrade in a continuous and irreversible process, leaving nothing but carbon dioxide, water and biomass.
- Biodegradable (according to ASTM D6954)
- Looks and feels like ordinary plastic
- d2w can be recycled with conventional polymer and can be made with recyclate
- Suitable for food contact according to FDA & EU food contact regulations
- No toxic residues or persistent microplastics